What you need
|The Chromecast device
costs about $35
- Good household WiFi
- Chromecast device ($35) plugged into HDMI port of any TV
- Google Photos Account
- Google Home app
How to set it up
|Google Home is a free app for Apple or Android
- Once you have it plugged in and the TV turned on, you will see onscreen instructions.
- Both the TV/Chromecast device and your phone with the Google Home app must be connected to the same WiFi network.
- Once you’ve completed the onscreen instructions, you should see your TV listed in your Google Home App, let’s say you named it “Living Room TV”
- Select “Living Room TV” in your Google Home app on the phone, and then tap on “Personalize Ambient”
- On the Ambient mode screen choose Google Photos, then select whatever albums you want used as your ‘screensaver.’
Chris Guld is President and Teacher-in-Chief at GeeksOnTour.com. She has been in computer training and support since 1983. She is now a Product Expert for the Google Photos Forum, owner of the LearnGooglePhotos.com blog, and author of Mrs. Geek’s Guide to Google Photos.
She loves to teach! If you want to learn, you’ve come to the right place.